Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The 'C' Hole




I know, I've been a bad blogger.

I'm sorry, baby. I know, I know, I haven't been thinking of your feelings. I've been inattentive. I never called. I'm sorry, baby. I would never want to hurt you. I've just had stuff to do. No, don't cry. I hate it when you cry...

Ahem.

So, it’s been a while since I posted anything substantial that wasn’t a photo of a shark or a moaning session about a member of my family. This is because I have had three cold/flu/black plagues and a bout of gastro which left me face down on the living room floor for three days watching Lois and Clarke the New Adventures of Superman. It’s not just you, gentle readers (hi mum). You'll be happy to know that I have, in fact, neglected all writing related duties. A 360 degree fail on all counts with one exception. The exception being the reading of everything Carl Jung has ever written about myth criticism and archetypes. And all I can say about that is,

I am in the C hole.

I mean, what the hell, Carl. WHAT THE HELL!

Hang on, I'll be right back.

I'm back. I put the emergency Enya on. Give it a sec... there it goes. I am now taking a deep breath, pushing the stack of Jung books away and having what can only be described as a Wasp volume swig of gin.

Let me back up a little and explain.

I am looking at a few things for my exegesis to support my claim that the feminine cannot really ever be removed from a story. When a female character is absent from the text (as in the case of Moby Dick) it reforms and takes the form of a landscape instead. One of the ways I plan to support this claim is looking at Jung’s work on the female archetype and his critical work on myth.

I have found some interesting stuff so far. Especially with reference to mans relationship to the water. Yep, my old pal Jung has some interesting things to say about this subject. If by interesting you mean CONFUSING AS ALL HELL! For example (in regards to the story of Moses) Jung says this,

"This story is an amplification and elucidation of the legend of the seven sleepers and the problem of rebirth. Moses is the man who seeks, the man on the "quest". On this pilgrimage he is accompanied by his shadow. Joshua had is origin in the depths of the waters, in the darkness of the shadow-world..."

Um.

Agh.

*cough*

Whatever happened to the days of "Sarah, can you spell CAT?" and "Sarah, can you spell your name?" I miss those quite, simple times, when scraping your knee was the worst thing that could happen and a cardboard box could fill a day with endless amounts of excitement. These days I have to address radical interpretations of the subconscious mind and the stability of the collective unconscious.

Now, where did I put that gin?

No comments:

Post a Comment