Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Samples off the Starboard Bow

Today I was meant to have a meeting with my honors supervisor but I cancelled to do some writing. And my crippling syndrome and general knee-jerk procrastination aside, it all seems to be going pretty well . My ABR story is finished (it’s called "The Seagull") and I managed to write about 5000 words of my novel over the past three days.

However, the first lines all suck.For example, the first line of my honors creative work is…

“I feel gritty daggers of sand against my palms as I plunge my hands into the ground and dig.”

For “The Seagull”

“An old man curled his fingers around a fish”.

and my novel…

“The blood won’t mix with the toilet water”.

I know what you’re thinking. She’s a morose SOB. Fish, blood, old men. Yeah okay, just keep your comments to yourself!

Anyway check out what my friends at the bookshop are “secretly” planning to get me for my birthday...

http://www.outofprintclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=L-1006

...while I quietly entertain myself in the kitchen, like Sylvia Plath.

No comments:

Post a Comment