Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Body Strikes the Water


Okay, so I gave my speech to my entire honors class, supervisor and head of graduate studies on Thursday. Such were my nerves that I had to pee three times in forty five minutes. See the thing is, I have no trouble with public speaking and I’m not intimated by a room full of smarty pants (who wear vintage Nike jumpers and use words like existential and juxtapose) but I do have an issue with reading my fiction out loud.

FECKIN OUT LOUD PEOPLE. As in, “blar blar blar… come right in and take a good look around the salty, deep sea caves of my mind. Mind the coral…”

I’m not really sure how it went, nor am I particularly confident that the other creative writers didn’t want to have me murdered by the end (there were some very intimidating scowly faces). I suppose the only thing I can do now is lie back and think of Becks… I mean England… I mean Becks…

In terms of first lines I think I did okay. They felt good in my mouth and seemed to catch everyone's attention. Barr Fletcher once again gave a somewhat "merry" (in the way my Granny always uses the word) swipe of his saber pencil and cut the seaweed out of my prose.

Ahem... (imagine you are an honors student and have recently said either the word existential or juxtapose and this is being read to you by a frizzy haired girl who looks like she may wet herself)

My body strikes the water.

Cutting through the ocean's skin I fall. I fall through the sound of a heavy wooden hull crashing against the waves, through the shouts and cries of the crew, and through the echo of the water's surface.

Now imagine that this same frizzy haired girl has moved silently towards what she thinks is a door out into the cold, dark night only to discover that it is a blackboard. Thwack! ... Okay this didn't actually happen. But I did say imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment